With history dating back to the 12th century, Hohenschwangau Castle is today referred to as the "nursery" of the young King Ludwig II.
The castle suffered extensive damage over the centuries, but in 1832 Crown Prince Maximilian, later King Max II, acquired the castle and had it converted into today's Hohenschwangau Castle.
King Max II and his family used the castle as a summer and hunting residence.
Following the death of King Maximilian II, his son, King Ludwig II, took over the royal apartments and had them redecorated according to his own ideas.
He also spent much of his time in Hohenschwangau Castle. The royal apartments, the palace garden and castle kitchen have been preserved to this day and are open to visitors.
To find out more about the history of the castle, click here.